The LIFE Agromitiga project includes technical actions, aimed at the implementation of Conservation Agriculture techniques for carbon sequestration and their inclusion in a Carbon Footprint quantification methodology. The objectives of this project are the following:
- Improve the knowledge about the carbon content in the soil.
- Design and implement a methodology for calculating the carbon footprint for the agronomic phase of crops, which can be integrated into international regulations for the verification and calculation of the carbon footprint.
- Develop a technological tool that allows the evaluation and quantification of the increasement in carbon due to best management practices in soils, which serves as a basis for the development and monitoring of policies related to climate change and emissions trading.
- Demonstrate the ability to reduce GHG from Conservation Agriculture in the Mediterranean Basin.
- Encourage the transition towards climate change mitigating management systems, through training and sensitization of agricultural sector.
- Disseminate and transfer the acquired experience and the soil management philosophy to similar areas of the Mediterranean.